The oldest and the most prestigious university in Germany was founded thanks to the papal assistance in 1386. Everything started with the theology department, law and philosophy departments were created later on. Marsilius of Inghen who became the first chancellor in Heidelberg invited professors from Prague and Paris. It was the time when the first students of the university created the famous anthem Gaudeamus.
A palace, the residence of the Wittelsbach dynasty, is considered the center of Heidelberg. It’s an inner city the architecture of which dates back to the Renaissance and the Early baroque epochs. In the 18th century the castle burned down, and the impoverished dynasty did not restore it. So the restoration could be done only in the 19th century, by the municipality, and now every summer the theater and music festival is held here.
Since the 30s of the 19th century and till the beginning of World War I the oldest German university was also the most popular German university among Russian people studying in Germany. More than one third of 84 Russian students who came to Germany for higher education entered Heidelberg University. By the beginning of the 20th century Heidelberg University had more Russian students than all other European universities taken together in the middle of 19th century.
Despite Martin Luther’s Disputation at Heidelberg in 1518, the University was impervious to the Reformation for a long time. It was only the Faculty of Liberal Arts that was affected by the Reformation, although in 1564 Hartmann Hartmanni Sr. (Chancellor of Kurpfalz and son of the former rector) tried to persuade Kurfürst Friedrich II to appoint rector Heinrich Stoll, evangelical preacher of the Church of the Holy Spirit, against the will of the professors practicing the old faith. Otto Henry, Elector Palatine, converted the university into the High School of Evangelism only in 1556. In this connection, he undertook an essential reform: students had to attend classes in secular clothing, not in cassocks as they used to. Hebrew and Greek became mandatory at the Faculty of Theology, and the practical side of education received more attention at the Faculty of Medicine.
Thanks to the efforts of Kurfürst Friedrich III, in the latter half of 16th century Heidelberg was developed into a cultural and academic center and was renowned as the High School of Calvinism. Heidelberg became a German Geneva – a center of Calvinism – which attracted lots of professors and scholars from all over the continent to the university. The famous Heidelberg Catechism was written here in 1563 with contribution of the Faculty of Theology. Together with Calvinism, in the end of 16th century so called late Humanism was also wide spread. During this period such celebrated personalities as Paul Schede, Jan Gruter, Martin Opitz, Julius Wilhelm Tsinkgref and Matthäus Merian.
- - The Faculty of Theology (direction: theology of evangelism),
- - The Faculty of Law,
- - The Faculty of Philosophy,
- - The Faculty of Neurobiology,
- - The Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences,
- - The Faculty of Behavioural Sciences and Empirical Cultural Sciences,
- - The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,
- - The Faculty of Physics and Astronomy,
- - The Faculty of Chemistry and Earth Sciences,
- - The Faculty of Biosciences
- - The Faculty of Medicine in Heidelberg, as well as
- - University Hospital
- - The Faculty of Medicine in Mannheim, as well as
- - University Hospital
- - Central Institute of Mental Health ,
- - Institute of Public Health, Social and Preventative Medicine.
Now more than 25,000 students study at Heidelberg University, which is one fifth of the total city population. 15% of them are international students. More than 2500 students come from Europe and 890 — from Asia. Heidelberg graduates represent 128 countries. The University enrolls about 400 professors to teach such a large amount of students!
General view of Heidelberg University
There is evidence indicating that it was the University of Heidelberg where Doctor Faustus studied. The lists of students of philosophical faculty of the University of Heidelberg in 1509, in fact, listed a Johann Faust - Bachelor of Theology.
The annual report of kamermeister Hans Müller (from Walpurgis day of the year 1519 until the next Walpurgis day of the year 1520) says: “10 guilders were appointed and granted to philosopher Dr. Faust for the preparation of a horoscope or fortune telling to my gracious lord. Paid on Sunday after Scholastica on order of his Eminence.”
Urology Clinic of Heidelberg University Hospital
The Urology Clinic of the University of Heidelberg under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Hohenfellner has a rich history of development. The first in the world operations of partial and full nephrectomy as well as the first surgical excision of cancerous prostate tumors and its radical surgical excision through the peritoneum were carried out here in the 19th century.
Nowadays the Clinic plays the leading role in development and implementation of new methods of diagnostics and treatment of urological conditions.
- Male oncological diseases
- Malignant prostate tumors
- Malignant testicles tumors
- Tumors of the urinary tracts: tumors of the renal pelvis, ureter, urinary bladder and urethra
- Extraperitoneal tumors
- Tumors of the adrenal bodies, kidneys, lymphonodi and retroperitoneum
- Rare tumors of the small pelvis
- Locally recurrent tumors and sarcomas
- Pediatric urology
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Removing calculus from the bladder and urinary channels
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL), subcutaneous operations
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary incontinence
- Urologic neurosurgery
- Bladder innervation disorders
- Reconstructive urology
- Functional recovery of the organs by a special surgical technique
- Technical equipment of the center corresponds to the highest standards and is updated on a regular basis, which ensures accurate diagnostics and efficient treatment of the entire range of diseases of the genitourinary system.
- The Da Vinci Surgical System is a robotic surgical system equipped with devices for laparoscopic surgery of the adrenal glands, kidney, bladder and prostate
- Introoperative radiotherapy (combination of surgery with local radiotherapy)
- Neodym:YAG laser (surgery of tumors of the bladder, urethra, and external genitalia)
- Heart – Lung apparatus (artificial blood-circulation apparatus) is used when removing tumors of the kidneys and adrenal glands because the tumors in the later stage can affect the inferior vena cava, up to the atrium.
- Argon plasma coagulation (kidney-preserving surgery of renal tumors and tumors extending to the surrounding muscle tissues)
- Harmonic scalpel (incision and hemostasis)
- Operating microscopes (for reconstructive surgery)
- Green laser (laser ablation of the benign prostatic hyperplasia)
- Holmium laser (endoscopic calculus removal)
- Video urodynamics (diagnostics of genitourinary tract dysfunction in children and adults)
Ophthalmology Clinic of Heidelberg University Hospital
Ophthalmology Clinic of Heidelberg University Hospital is one of the best ophthalmology centers in Germany. The equipment used here meets the highest standards and requirements.
Successful diagnostics and treatment of eye diseases is possible due to the combination of the highest level of training of medical personnel and technical equipment:
- Transplantation of the amphiblestrodes
- Surgical treatment of childhood cataracts
- Surgery of the amphiblestrodes and vitreous body
- Implant surgery
- Tumor surgery
- Brachytherapy of intraocular tumors
- Surgery of eye muscles
- Reconstructive surgery of the lacrimal passages and eyelids
- Laser surgery
- Surgical treatment of glaucoma
Clinic of Hematology, Oncology and Rheumatology
Hematology, Oncology and Rheumatology Clinic of the University of Heidelberg is one of the leading medical centers both in Germany and worldwide in these spheres of scientific research. The National Cancer Centre is based here. Today the National Cancer Center has the largest stem cell bank in Germany.
Main Clinical Focus:
- Diagnostics and treatment of all blood diseases
- Transplantation of the bone marrow, stem cells in case of leukemia, malignant lymphomas, Morbus Hodkin, multiple myeloma, aplastic anemia and other diseases
- Treatment of autoimmune diseases
- Collaboration with the German Cancer Research Center in the development of new methods of cancer treatment:
- Puncturing and Studies of the bone marrow
- Treatment of acute myeloid and chronic leukemia, multiple myeloma, sarcoma, lymphoma
- The Clinic has its own designated laboratories:
- Hematology Laboratory (bone marrow diagnostics)
- Laboratory of the Immune Markers (immunological tumor diagnostics)
- Stem Cell Transplantation Laboratory
- Molecular Genetic Laboratory
- Molecular Biological Laboratory
- Rheumatologic Laboratory
- Immune Cellular Therapy
- CMP-laboratory (treatment of specimen of the bone marrow, stem cells, as well as immune competent cells according to performance criteria)
Thoracic Clinic of the University of Heidelberg
The Clinic takes one of the leading places in the world for treatment of diseases of the lungs, mediastinum, pleura, chest wall and surrounding areas. The objectives of the Clinic also include clinical research and further development of the interdisciplinary treatment of lung cancer, metastatic lung surgery, interventional endoscopy with laser and brachytherapy.
The most important goal of Thoracic Clinic’s staff is the best care and treatment of patients, based on the latest achievements of science.
- Anesthesiology and Emergency Medicine,
- Endoscopy Department,
- X-ray and Nuclear Diagnostics,
- Sleeping Disorders Center,
- its own Clinical Laboratory.
Surgery Department carries out the following operations:
- surgical treatment of diseases of thoracic organs and organs of surrounding body parts in benign and malignant tumors
- treatment of various congenital anomalies (both adults and children)
- treatment of benign diseases such as pneumothorax, hollowed chest, pleurisy, trachea diseases
Department of Surgery has several operating rooms equipped with the latest technology, so that it provides the possibility of simultaneous multiple operations, each of them carried out by a team of highly qualified specialists.
Department of Oncology cooperates with all departments of Thoracic Clinic, which ensures an individual approach in each case, and specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the chest area: bronchial carcinoma, mesothelioma, mediastinal tumors, lung metastases.
Pulmonary Department of the Heidelberg University Hospital
Specialization of the Pulmonary Department includes:
- non-invasive artificial respiration for respiratory failure,
- detection and treatment of respiratory impairment associated with sleeping disorders,
- diagnostics and treatment of respiratory tract diseases,
- diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary emphysema,
- diagnostics and treatment of cystic fibrosis,
- diagnostics and treatment of fibrosing alveolitis,
- diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary hypertension.
The main focus is diagnostics and endoscopic treatment of respiratory diseases without opening the chest. Another department’s activity includes development of prostheses (stents) for respiratory tract, eliminating the risk of suffocation in obturation.
Malignant respiratory tumors can be cured in their earliest stages if they are detected in time and treated with up-to-date methods of laser treatment and internal radiation therapy. The clinic develops and implements the methods for early detection in cooperation with the various medical centers.
Endoscopic Department of Heidelberg Hospital is known worldwide and regularly takes part in international research activities.
The Laboratory carries out checkups in the following fields: clinical chemistry, hematology, diagnostics of blood clotting ability, blood transfusion serology, tumor diagnostics, immunology, infectious serology, hormone analysis, allergology, urine and stool examination, bacteriology (study of pathogens and definition of antibiotic sensitivity), as well as emergency diagnostics.